Registration deadlines for winter semester 2020/21
- for first registrations: August 21st until September 4th, 2020
- for VWU students continuing their courses at VWU: dates are not fixed yet
- for students required to pass supplementary exams not only in German but in other subjects (English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Geography, ...) as well, with confirmed FG-level (either by placement test or exam at the end of the semester): dates are not fixed yet
Please plan your entry to Austria according to these deadlines, ideally
- in AUGUST for winter semester
- in JANUARY for summer semester
An admission letter by one of the scientific universities in Vienna (Universität Wien, Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien, Technische Universität Wien, Medizinische Universität Wien, Universität für Bodenkultur Wien, Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien) is a prerequisite to join the Preparation Programme. Without admission letter registration is not possible. Students need to register in person.
Students have to pass the supplementary examinations in German and other subjects at the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities before they can be enrolled in a regular degree programme at the university. The preparatory courses take place at the VWU itself (only for students who qualify for a reduced course fee) or at one of three cooperation partners. While attending the courses, students are enrolled as non-degree programme students (“außerordentliche Studierende”) at university.
The German courses consist of 320 lessons (22 to 24 lessons per week), the course fee is €1,223 (€3.8/lesson) per semester; reduced fee: €488 (€1.5/lesson) per semester. An additional amount of approx. €20-30 for material costs (photocopies) may be charged.
If you qualify for a reduced course fee, you can attend a course at the VWU in Sechshauser Straße 33A.
Otherwise you may chose between our three cooperation partners:
- Deutsch-Kolleg Vienna of the Österreichische Orient-Gesellschaft (ÖOG) Hammer-Purgstall: German courses for VWU
Registration for students qualifying for a reduced fee (concessions)
Who qualifies for a reduced fee?
The reduced fee of €488 applies to three categories of students:
Category 1: Nationals of countries according to the List of countries
Category 2: Students who are asylum seekers, recognised refugees or subsidiary protected persons in Austria
Category 3: Students who have to pass supplementary examinations in English, mathematics, history, geography, physics, chemistry or biology only (and no supplementary examination in German) – regardless of their nationality or asylum status.
Students finding themselves in one of these three categories can register directly at the VWU in Sechshauser Straße 33A between August 21 to September 4, 2020.
Steps for registration at VWU, Sechshauser Straße 33A:
- Issuance of payment forms and registration at VWU: August 21 to September 4, 2020.
- admission letter and
- passport or
- documentation of your asylum status (e.g. Convention passport, white card, grey card, …)
- Payment of the course fee by September 4, 2020 at the latest
- Enrolment in person at your university as a student in a “non-degree programme” by September 7, 2020.
- Placement tests for German and English: upon registration you'll be informed about the dates of your placement test(s).
- Course start at VWU: September 24, 2020.
Attention: Other, private course institutions are not part of the VWU system. Attending one of their courses will not qualify you for the status of a student in a “non-degree programme”.
Please check our FAQs for first-time enrolment.
Students not qualifying for the reduced course may not register at the VWU directly but only at one of our three cooperation partners.
Steps for registering at a cooperation partner
Step 1: Register in person between August 21 and September 4, 2020. Upon registration you will be provided with information about your placement, course times, etc.
Step 2: Pay the course fee by September 4, 2020 and enrol at your university by September 7, 2020 at the latest with the confirmation of registration and payment for your course within the University Preparation Programme.
Please note: registration procedures and opening hours may vary from one course institute to another. Please refer to the respective webiste for more information.
Students continuing their courses
Students continuing their courses may do so under the same conditions. Students may change courses from one cooperation partner to another. A transfer to VWU is possible only for students needing to pass supplementary exams in subjects other than German and already having acquired advanced knowledge of German (course result of the previous semester is level FG or WF).
You register directly with:
- Language Center of the University of Vienna: German courses for VWU
- die Berater®: Deutschkurse für den VWU: German courses for VWU
- Deutsch-Kolleg - Österreichische Orient-Gesellschaft Hammer-Purgstall (ÖOG): German courses for VWU
It is not necessary for students to communicate their continuation of studies to the university. This is an automated process. However, the student union's fee (ÖH-Beitrag) has to be paid, otherwise your registration will be canceled.
Please note that only courses at VWU or VWU-courses at one of our cooperation partners serve for university registration.