VGUH - Courses
Summer semester 2023
Duration: 1 March 2023 – 30 June 2023
Days without classes in the summer semester 2023:
3 April – 14 April 2023 Easter holidays
1 May 2023 public holiday
18 May + 19 May 2023 Ascension Day + day given off autonomously
29 May + 30 May 2023 Whitsun
8 June + 9 June 2023 Corpus Christi + day given off autonomously
Costs: Information leaflet German/ Information leaflet Englisch
Important information: On the learning platform
https://moodle.vguh.at/lms you will find additional information for self-study and exercise examples. (Log-in with the access data of your VGUH student portal account).
The VGUH offers courses in
German as a foreign language to prepare students for the supplementary examination in German:
- There are three levels. You will be placed in the appropriate level via a placement test or on the basis of your course grades at the VGUH.
- Students of the levels I, II, III who only want to take the supplementary examination in German have to attend two courses (basic course with 12 lessons (hours) per week and elective course with 3 lessons (hours) per week). They have to attend these two courses separately but both courses have to be at the same level.
- You must get a pass grade in both the basic and the elective course to pass the semester.
- Students of the level III with prescribed examinations in other subjects will only have to take a basic course in German (12 lessons (hours) per week) and subject courses.
Students of the University of Music and Performing Arts only have to complete a basic German course (12 lessons (hours) per week).
Subject courses to prepare students for supplementary examinations: biology, chemistry, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics (language of instruction: German)
You can attend subject courses as from German level III; English (two-semester) is possible as from German level II.
If you only have to take supplementary examinations in subjects other than German or English, you will only have to attend subject courses.
For a semester to be graded positively an attendance rate of 80% in all courses is required!
The course contents and target skills are defined in the teaching and learning contents:
- German Level I (72.1 KB)
- German Level II (67.5 KB)
- German Level III (67.4 KB)
- German for Musicians A2 (64.5 KB)
- German for Musicians B1 (65.0 KB)
- German for Musicians B2 (64.3 KB)
- English (64.7 KB)
- Geography (64.4 KB)
- Mathematics (62.5 KB)
- Physics (62.7 KB)
- Biology (62.5 KB)
- Chemistry (61.8 KB)
- Compulsory elective I Listening and Speaking.pdf (60.1 KB)
- Compulsory elective I Reading and Writing.pdf (60.8 KB)
- Compulsory elective II Listening and Speaking.pdf (60.3 KB)
- Compulsory elective II Regional and Cultural Studies.pdf (60.1 KB)
- Compulsory elective II Reading and Writing.pdf (60.9 KB)
- Compulsory elective III.pdf (356.1 KB)
Course system and course guidelines
German courses: There are three target levels. Students are placed in these levels according to their language skills, which are determined by means of placement tests or a performance assessment at the VGUH.
Subject courses: These courses can be attended as from German level III; English (two-semester) is possible as from German level II.
For a positive assessment of the semester an attendance rate of 80% of the classes offered and an additional workload of independent studying are necessary. If the semester assessment consists of a basic course and an elective course, students have to complete these separately and pass both of them.